2012 National Urban Design Awards to be presented at IIDEX
The National Urban Design Awards will be formally presented at a ceremony during IIDEX Canada on Sept. 21, 2012 in Toronto at 3:30 p.m. at the Direct Energy Centre, IIDEX Keynote Speaker Theatre.
Architecture Canada | RAIC, the Canadian Institute of Planners, and the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, in cooperation with Canadian municipalities, promote public and private awareness of urban design through this National Urban Design Awards program, which was established to recognize individuals, organizations, firms and projects that have contributed to the sustainability and quality of life in our Canadian cities.
Part of a two-tier program held in co-operation with major metropolitan centres in Canada, National Urban Design Awards recipients are previous year’s winners from participating municipalities, such as Toronto, Mississauga, Calgary, Edmonton, Vaughan and Ottawa, as well as submissions from other communities in Canada.
The following projects will be honoured:
• Urban Architecture – North Vancouver City Library (North Vancouver, BC)
• Urban Design Plans – East Village Master Plan (Calgary, AB)
• Urban Fragments – ESPA 2010 Mural Project (aka “Transition” Mural Project) (Edmonton, AB)
• Urban Fragments – Gathering Circle (Thunder Bay, ON)
• Civic Design Projects – Canada’s Sugar Beach (Toronto, ON)
• Special Jury Award (Small Town) – Marché Lionel Daunais (Boucherville, QC)
• Special Jury Award (Sustainable Award) – Sherbourne Common (Toronto, ON)
• Student Project – Feed Toronto: Growing the Hydrofields (Pickering, ON)
Certificates of Merit
Urban Design Plans
• Toronto Avenues and Mid-Rise Buildings Study (Toronto, ON)
• YVR Vancouver International Airport (Richmond, BC)
• Elm Street Four Unit Infill (Ottawa, ON)
• One Cole, Regent Park, Toronto (Toronto, ON)
Civic Design Projects
• Garden City Play Environment, City of Richmond (Richmond, BC)
• West Toronto Railpath (Toronto, ON)
• Loose Change (Montréal, QC)