New York architects select prestigious international architecture awards for 2014
The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies have selected over 110 new buildings, commercial and institutional developments, landscape architecture, and urban planning projects from 36 nations for The International Architecture Awards for 2014. Hundreds of submissions were received for this year’s annual Global Awards Program from architecture firms from across Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, and the Americas.
The program honuors new skyscrapers, commercial buildings, urban plans, private residences, and real estate projects that achieve a high standard of excellence in design, construction, planning, and sustainability and promote the best practice in all types of real estate development for the private and public sectors, including new skyscrapers, high rises, corporate and institutional buildings, commercial projects, city planning, restorations and adaptive reuse, religious and civic buildings, and interiors.
“From an impressive and visionary array of new submissions, the New York Jury selected over 100 outstanding projects, each of which positively impacts its larger community — sometimes modestly, but most often massively,” states Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, president, The Chicago Athenaeum. “The finalists span the globe, from South America to Asia, from North America to Europe, and we are particularly happy to share that diversity. All projects exhibit innovation in design, acute sensitivity to the environment, sustainability, adaptability to their surroundings, and provision of enjoyment to their many users. In one way or another, each finalist wowed the jury, which will make selection of the winners a real challenge.”
This year’s selected buildings were from 36 nations including: Antartica, Austria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Georgia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iceland, India, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Maldives, Mexico, New Zealand, People’s Republic of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, The Netherlands, Turkey, Vietnam, and United Arab Emirites, The United States.
This elite group of buildings and urban planning projects selected by the jury will be premiered at the Istanbul Design Biennial at the UCTEA Chamber of Architects of Turkey Istanbul Metropolitan Branch Kemankes Caddesi No: 31, Karakoy-Beyoglu, 34425 Istanbul, Turkey opening October 10 and continuing through October 25, 2014.
The exhibition is entitled The City and the World and combines the The International Architecture Awards 2014 with The American Architecture Awards 2014. After Istanbul the exhibition is scheduled to travel in Europe, opening at The European Centre’s
Contemporary Space Athens in Athens, Greece in 2015. The Exhibition makes a debut in the United States at the Chicago Architecture Biennial, September 21-October 13, 2015.
A catalogue, Global Design + Urbanism, accompanies the exhibition published by Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd.
The deadline for the 2015 International Architecture Awards is December 1, 2014.
The awarded projects for 2014 are:
1. PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE, Tbilisi, Georgia, 2011-2012 by Architects of Invention
2. ISLAMIC CEMETERY, Altach, Austria, 2014 by Bernardo Bader Archikten
3. CAMPBELL SPORTS CENTER, New York, New York, USA, 2013 by Steven Holl Architects
4. BEYOND THE HILL RESIDENCE, Yokohama, Japan, 2013 by acaa / Kazuhiko Kishimoto
5. EMPEROR OF MING DYNASTY CULTURAL MUSEUM, Zhongxiang City, Hubei, China, 2012 by Shan Jun Atelier
6 DANCING DRAGONS, Seoul, South Korea, 2012 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
7. 387 TAMAKI DRIVE, Auckland, New Zealand, 2012 by Ian Moore Architects
8. MALMÖ CENTRAL STATION RENOVATION, Malmö, Sweden. 2011 by Metro Arkitekter
9. CENTRO ROBERTO GARZA SADA DE ARTE, ARQUITECTURA Y DISEÑO, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico, 2013 by Tadao Ando Architect & Associates
10. PEROT MUSEUM OF NATURE AND SCIENCE, Dallas, Texas, 2013 by Morphosis Architects
11. LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM AND SPORTS HALL OF FAME, Natchitoches, Louisiana, USA., 2013 by Trahan Architects
12. MEDITATION HOUSE, Jebaa, Lebanon, 2011 by MZ Architects
13. BLOOMING BAMBOO HOME, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2013 by H&P Architects
14. OFFICES FOR THE REGIONAL GOVERNMENT OF CASTILLA Y LEÓN, Zamora, Spain, 2013 by Alberto Campo Baeza
15. DEN-EN OFFICE, Toyota, Japan, 2012 by AUAU
16. NURSERY SCHOOL BERRIOZAR, Berriozar, Navarra, Spain, 2012 by Javier Larraz, Iñigo Beguiristain and Iñaki Berger
17. TAICHUNG CULTURAL CENTER, Taichung, Taiwan by Platform for Architecture + Research
18. CHESAPEAKE NORTH PAVILION, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, 2012 by Elliott + Associate Architects
19. KIRKPATRICK OIL HENNESSEY, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA., 2012 by Elliott + Associate Architects
20. KING ABDULLAH FINANCIAL DISTRICT, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2013 by FXFOWLE Architects
21. LINGO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA., 2013 by Elliott + Associate Architects
22. MARFA CONTEMPORARY GALLERY, Marfa, Texas, USA., 2013 by Elliott + Associate Architects
23. CHINA STEEL CORPORATION, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2012 by Artech Architects.
24. TIND PREFABRICATED HOUSES, Stockholm, Sweden, 2013 by Claesson Koivisto Rune Architects
25. ALEX MONROE STUDIO, London, United Kingdom, 2012 by DSDH
26. VANKE TSING TAO PEARL VISITOR, Qingdao, Shandong, China, 2012 by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
27. BARCODE HOUSE, Washington D.C.USA., 2011 by David Jameson Architect
28. HALLEY VI ANTARCTIC RESEARCH STATION, Antarctica, 2013 by Hugh Broughton Architects and AECOM
29. THE COURTYARDS HOUSE, Rajasthan, India, 2011 by Sanjay Puri Architects Pvt. Ltd.
30. THE COMPASS INTERNATIONAL, Heraclion, Crete, Greece, 2012 by OFFICETWENTYFIVEARCHITECTS
31. GEORGIA MULTI-MODAL PASSENGER, Atlanta, Georgia USA, 2015 by FXFOWLE Architects
32. 121ST POLICE PRECINCT STATION, Staten Island, New York, USA., 2013 by Rafael Viñoly Architects PC.
33. VORARLBERG MUSEUM, Bregenz, Austria, 2013 by Cukrowicz Nachbaur Architekten ZT GmbH
34. SHEIKH KHALIFA MEDICAL CITY, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 2015 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
35. TOUR CARPE DIEM, Courbevoie, France, 2013 by Robert A.M. Stern Architects
36. INTERNATIONAL AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSEUM, Charleston, South Carolina, USA., 2015 by Moody Nolan, Inc.
37. MOUNT SINAI HESS CENTER FOR SCIENCE AND MEDICINE, New York, New York, USA., 2015 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
38. MONMOUTH BATTLEFIELD STATE PARK VISITOR CENTER, Manalapan, New Jersey, USA, 2012 by ikon.5 architects
39. KUNSHAN PHOENIX CULTURAL, Kunshan, China, 2015 by Joel Sanders Architect
40. ROCHE DIAGNOSTICS, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA., 2015 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
41. LIANSHENG FINANCIAL TOWER, Taiyuan, China, 2015 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
42. ION LUXURY ADVENTURE HOTEL, Iceland, 2013 by Minarc
43. BEIJING BOHAI INNOVATION CIT
Y MASTERPLAN, Beijing, China, 2014 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
44. TAO ZHU YIN YUAN, Taipei, Taiwan, 2013 by Vincent Callebaut Architectures
45. ITOMAN GYOMIN SHOKUDO RESTAURANT, Okinawa, Japan, 2013 by Yamakazi Kentaro Design Workshop
46. THE GALLERY OF THE HISTORY OF CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES, Versailles, France, 2013 by Projectiles architectural studio
47. KOSHINOKUNI MUSEUM OF LITERATURE, Toyama, Japan, 2012 by Yasuyuki Ito, Masaki IHARA/ CAn
48. HEBIL 157 HOUSES, Bodrum, Mula, Turkey, 2006-2011 by Aytac Architects
49. KING FAHAD NATIONAL LIBRARY RIYADH, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2013 by Gerber Architekten
50. MEDIATHEQUE MEDIA LIBRARY, Mont de Marsan, France, 2012 by archi5
51. TWO PRIVATE RESIDENCES IN PANORAMA THESSALONIKI, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2011-2012 by OFFICETWENTYFIVEARCHITECTS
52. COMMUNITY CENTRE SELB PLOESSBERG, Selb-Ploessberg, Germany, 2012 by Beer Architektur Städtebau
53. THE SHED, London, United Kingdom, 2013 by Haworth Tompkins
54. OSAKA TIMBER ASSOCIATION BUILDING, Osaka, Japan, 2013 by Takenaka Corporation
55. DALIAN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER, Dalian, China, 2012 by COOP HIMMELB(L)AU
56. SYDNEY CRUISE TERMINAL, Sydney, Australia, 2013 by Johnson Pilton Walker Architects
57. MUSEUM FOR ARCHITECTURAL DRAWING, Berlin, Germany, 2013 by SPEECH Tchoban Kuznetsov
58. LES TURBULENCES – FRAC CENTRE, Orléans, France, 2013 by Jakob + MacFarlane
59. HEALTHCARE CENTER, Dharmapuri, India, 2012 by Flying Elephant Studio
60. CASTLE OF ROCCA SINIBALDA, Rieti, Italy, 2013 by Claudio Silvestrin Architects
61. WHITE CAVE HOUSE, Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan, 2013 by Takuro Yamamoto Architects
62. NAMLY HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2012 by CHANG Architects
63. LANDSCAPE RESTORATION OF VALL D’EN JOAN WASTE LANDFILL, LEl Garraf Natural Park, Barcelona, Spain, 2010 by Batlle I Roig Architects
64. EASTSIDE CITY PARK, Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2012 by Patel Taylor
65. FUEGO 121, Mexico City, DF. Mexico, 2012 by DPG Arquitectos
66. HAMILTON CENTRAL LIBRARY AND FARMERS’ MARKET, Ontario, Canada, 2010 by RDH Architects
67. PT RESOLUTION BRIDGE, Auckland, New Zealand., 2012 by Warren and Mahoney
68. KONTUM BAMBOO CAFE, Kontum, Vietnam, 2013 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
69. 137 MARKET STREET RETROFIT, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2012 by Teh Joo Heng Architect
70. HOUSE IN NAGAHAM, Shiga, Japan, 2012 by comma design office
71. TIMBER STRUCTURE, Tokyo, Japan, 2012 by FT Architects
72. NEUE HAMBURGER TERRASSEN, Hamburg, Germany, 2013 by LAN Architecture
73. KULTURHAVN KRONBORG, Krongborg, Denmark, 2013 by Jeppe Aagaard Andersen
74. SOCIAL COMMUNITY CENTER, Chaibasa, Jharkhand, India, 2012 by studio MADe
75. DISASTER HOUSING IN THE CITY OF KAMAISHI, Kamaishi-city, Iwate Prefecture, Japan, 2014 by TeMaLi architects
76. HEALTH SCIENCES FACULTY, Zaragoza, Spain, 2012 by Taller Básico de Arquitectura
77. HANIMAADHOO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT COMPETITION, Maldives, 2012 by IAD
78. CARLO PAZOLINI VENICE, Venice, Italy, 2012 by Giorgio Borruso Design
79. HOUSE IN TAMATSU, Osaka, Japan, 2012 by Ido Kenji Architectural Studio
80. UNC COASTAL STUDIES INSTITUTE, Waanchese, North Carolina, USA., 2012 by Clark Nexsen
81. WYNE SALES GALLERY, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010 by Supermachine Studio
82. PING SHAN TIN SHUI WAI LEISURE AND CULTURAL BUILDING, Hong Kong, P.R.C., 2012 by Architectural Services Department, HKSAR Government
83. STANLEY WATERFRONT IMPROVEMENT WORKS AND STANLEY MUNICIPAL SERVICES BUILDING, Hong Kong, P.R.C., 2012 by Architectural Services Department, HKSAR Government
84. ALDRICH BAY PARK, Hong Kong, P.R.C., 2012 by Architectural Services Department, HKSAR Government
85. MASTER PLAN FOR THE INYAKA DAM, Bushbuckridge, South Africa, 2011 by Marianne de Klerk Architects and Urban Designers
86. ST. NICOLAASLYCEUM, Prinses Irenestraat, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2012 by DP6 architectuurstudio
87. STONE HOUSE, Villars, Luberon, France, 2011 by Carl Fredrik Svenstedt Architect
88. ELI AND EDYTHE BROAD ART MUSEUM, East Lansing, Michigan, USA., 2012 by Zaha Hadid Architects
89. REDEVELOPMENT OF THE FORMER PANCHARD CAR FACTORY, Porte D’Ivry, Paris. France by AREP
90. DOWNTOWN LA HOTEL, Los Angeles, California, USA., 2012 by XTEN Architecture
91. MEDIEVAL MUSEUM, Waterford, Ireland, 2013 by Waterford City Council Architects
92. MAST FOUNDATION MIXED-USE BUILDING, Bologna, Italy, 2013 by LABICS
93. SUNSET CHAPEL, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico, 2011 by BNKR Bunker Arquitectura
94. PANEL REY PAVILION, Mexico City, DF., Mexico, 2014 by BNKR Bunker Arquitectura
95. MELLAT BANK FAÇADE, Tehran, Iran, 2012 by KHA – Architects
96. P HOUSE, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012 by studiomk27
97. L HOUSE, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012 by studiomk27
98. UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA MASTERPLAN COMPETITION, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 2012 by IAD
99. EL VALLE TRENZADO, Elche, Alicante, Spain, 2013 by Teh Joo Heng Architect
100. ELENA GARRO CULTURAL CENTER, Coyoacán, Mexico, City, DF.,Mexico. 2012 by Fernada Canales
101. AUTOSTADT ROOF AND SERVICE, Autostadt, StadtBrücke,Wolfsburg, Germany 2013 by GRAFT Architects
102. PURE TENSION PORTABLE CAR-CHARGING PAVILION, Milan, Italy, 2013 by Synthesis Design + Architecture (SDA)
103. JOSEPH L. ROTMAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 2012 by KPMB Architects
104. MIKE AND OPHELIA LAZARIDIS QUANTUM-NANO CENTRE, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2012 by KPMB Architects
105. THE BOW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 2013 by Foster + Partners
106. CENTER 66, Wuxi, People’s Republic of China, 2013 by Aedas Ltd.
107. COVENTRY UNIVERSITY ENGINEERING AND COMPUTING BUILDING, Coventry, Great Britain, 2012 by Arup Associates
108. ALLIANZ HEADQUARTERS, Wallisellen, Switzerland, 2013 by Wiel Arets Architects
109. RESIDENTIAL HOUSE VENICE, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2013 by Evgeny Gerasimov and Partners
110. AL BAHR TOWERS, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 2012 by Aedas Ltd.
111. GUANGZHOU COMMERCIAL SHOWCASE COMPLEX, Guangzhou, Guangdong, People’s Republic of China, 2013 by Aedas Ltd.
112. NAKAHOUSE, Los Angeles, California, USA., 2011 by XTEN Architecture