Commerce Design Montral Awards accepting submissions
Created in 1995 by the Ville de Montréal, presented for 10 years in a row, then exported internationally, the Commerce Design Montréal Awards are back. The Ville de Montréal’s Bureau du design and Équipe commerce are launching a 20th-anniversary edition, to culminate in May 2015 with an awards ceremony at which prizes will be handed out to 20 Island of Montréal merchants and their design partners.
The program, which is accompanied by an extensive promotional campaign, rewards businesses for outstanding quality of interior and exterior design on their premises, and showcases the talents of Montréal designers. Merchants, designers and architects are invited to submit applications no later than 5 p.m. on January 9, 2015. The entry form and regulations are available online at commercedesignmontreal.com.
The original contest concept aimed to enhance the quality of city living by convincing Montréal merchants of the benefits of investing in good design on their premises, with the help of qualified professionals. An impact study conducted in 2004, after 10 years of Commerce Design contests, showed that the awards had definitive impacts on revitalization of commercial arteries.
Many award-winning businesses have gone on to become bona fide institutions over the years, including the Orbite hair salon (Saucier + Perrotte architectes) as well as restaurants Leméac (the late Luc Laporte, architect) and Le Petit Alep (Bosses Design).
There are two levels of prizes awarded: a jury will select 20 Jury Grand Prizes, to be announced in May 2015, while the People’s Choice Awards will go to the grand prize winner that receives the most votes from members of the public. This People’s Choice Award will be announced in the fall of 2015.
- Commercial establishments located on the Island of Montréal that have had their premises designed or redesigned between October 1, 2011, and October 1, 2014 (date of work completion), with the assistance of Montréal-based interior design and/or architecture professionals, with the design and/or renovation work executed by Québec based contractors;
- Establishments that are aimed at the general public and open during normal retail business hours during the public voting period for the contest, from May to September 2015.
The following are ineligible:
- Establishments that have already won an award in a previous edition of the contest;
- Professional-services offices (e.g., dentists, law firms), financial institutions, teaching institutions and daycare centres.
The jury for the 20th-anniversary edition is chaired by Nathalie Bondil, Director and Chief Curator, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, and comprises:
- Benoît Dupuis, architect
- Jean-Pierre Généreux, architect, Vice-President, Brand and Concept Development, Groupe Aldo
- Jessica Rivière-Gomez, interior designer, Vice-President and Founder, Index-Design
- Marie-Hélène Trottier, graphic designer, Creative Director, Jump&Love
Application packages must be received electronically or in person no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, January 9, 2015, at: Bureau du design de la Ville de Montréal, 303, rue Notre-Dame Est, 6e étage, Montréal (Québec) H2Y 3Y8. The entry form and regulations are available online at commercedesignmontreal.com.