Keilhauer named as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers 2021
Keilhauer has been recognized by Canada’s Top 100 Employers as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2021. This marks the seventh consecutive year and the eighth year overall that the company has accepted this prestigious award.
“At Keilhauer, we consider ourselves to be design activists and pioneers in creating sustainable solutions for our products,” said Mike Keilhauer, President. “We are honoured to be recognized yet again with this prestigious award, and we are committed to constantly improving our sustainability practices and initiatives.”
Canada’s Greenest Employers evaluates each employer based on the environmental initiatives and programs they’ve developed, while analyzing the environmental footprint of their operations and the degree to which its employees are engaged. Companies are also assessed based on the extent to which their initiatives have become linked to their public identity.
Some accomplishments that earned Keilhauer recognition as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers include:
- Between 2019-2020, recycled over 44,000 pounds of textile scraps, and donated over 18,000 pounds of textiles to local charities and community groups
- 67 per cent of new products in 2020 designed out any flagged harmful chemicals and designed in safe alternatives
- Eliminated single-use packaging for all outbound shipments in favour of blanket-wrapped shipments, eliminating over 84,000 boxes in the 2019 fiscal year, and over one million since the program began in 2000
- Partnership with Toronto-based Emerald Energy to convert waste to energy to achieve zero-waste-to-landfill
- All programs follow the corporate goal of closed-loop manufacturing
- Ongoing programs to track resource and energy use including water, air (addressing greenhouse gas emissions and indoor air quality), energy, and waste management
- Created online documents to help customers disassemble and properly recycle their used furniture