House on Bracondale Hill, Toronto
Drew Mandel Architects, Toronto
Photography by Doublespace Photography
This restored, renovated and re-invented designated heritage residence dating from 1924 also features two modern additions: a brick shingle-clad side extension and a one-story, rear glass box enclosure that heightens the visual connection and openness on the rear elevation that was previously dark and solid. Sliding panels of the glass box open to a new concrete terrace with steps into a pool. Particular interest was given to updating the amenities of the historical house with responsible sustainable materials and building systems: the use of a grey water re-circulation system; recycled brick masonry (from demolished areas of the original structure); low VOC millwork finishes; local wood; in-floor heating; green roof and rain barrel water management systems. Modern interventions celebrate the existing heritage features and add new but familiar materiality, colour and texture in the form of wood, brick, stone, curves and arches, and a sculptural four-storey feature stair that weaves through the original house.