Formica Canada launches new SurfaceSet and DecoMetal Laminates
Formica Canada expanded its DecoMetal Laminates line with seven new designs, and launched 20 new designs and two new textures in its new SurfaceSet 2022 collection.
“The DecoMetal collection is loved by designers across the country who use it to bring warmth and innovation to the spaces they create,” said Christelle Locat-Rainville, Marketing Director for Formica Canada. “These seven new designs aim to make the collection even more versatile to help design future spaces that are more elegant and unique.”
The new designs include four printed solid metal options – solid aluminum sheets artistically detailed and textured with a protective finish – as well as three metal laminate designs that use metal foils as the decorative surface:
Printed Solid Metal
- Zinc Patina and Oxidized Silver Patina: Channeling the beautiful natural effects of weathering and age on metals, the two Patina series additions are usable in both modern and traditional environments. Zinc Patina offers a warm silver-gray finish and Oxidized Silver Patina brings a bolder and dramatic de-silvered, blackened visual.
- Platinum Linework and Black Linework: Finely detailed with rippling vertical line weights, the Linework design emulates the ribbed panel trend. This design is available in a warm silver look or with a popular blackened effect.
- Antique Rubbed Copper: A timeless metal visual, the Rubbed effect utilizes a decorative, hand-rubbed oil technique on real copper foils for a classically crafted finish.
- Woven Argent and Woven Brass: The linen-like fabric texture of the Woven series brings a rich tactile experience to silver and brass foils.
Inspired by nature and handcrafted processes, the SurfaceSet collection brings four solid colours, six woodgrains, 10 patterns and two textures into the Formica Laminate repertoire.
These new introductions reflect three primary trend drivers Formica uncovered through research: New Order, Safe Haven and Fresh Start.
The New Order palette is built on unambiguous patterns that are immediately recognizable, anchored in the familiarity of tradition and handcrafted skill.
- Starched Paperfold, Origami Paperfold and Washi Paperfold: Created by scanning actual crumpled pieces of paper, the Paperfold design is a highly usable colour carrier that is ideal for horizontal surfaces such as tables or work surfaces.
- Denim and Gold Braze: Inspired by hands-on processes, these solid colours explore classic hues of fabric and metal. Denim brings an iconic blue-jean blue while Gold Braze reflects the trend of warm metals through a grayed gold.
- Pale Brushstroke, Wood Brushstroke and Earthenware Brushstroke: A play on materiality, Brushstroke is an abstract wood-inspired look that uses hand brush strokes styled in light, natural and warm terracotta stain colours. Brushstroke emulates wood tones in a space without being an exact copy of wood.
The aesthetics of Safe Haven are meant not to challenge but reassure. When so many have become accustomed to the safety of home, these designs emulate unthreatening forms and tonally harmonious colours.
- Birchbark: A biophilic white option, Birchbark was created through the ultimate creative process: taking a walk in nature. Bark peeled from birch trees was scanned, styled and printed to create a familiar backdrop that is perfect for vertical wall and backsplash applications.
- Jadeite and Purple Dye: Upscale yet soothing, these solid colours were designed to bridge the gap in palettes as sophisticated green-blue and blue-purple options.
- Ceruse Gray Walnut, Cherry Walnut and Pecan Walnut: With a slightly planked veneer layout, the classic Walnut is modernized with updated greige, cherry and rich dark stains.
- Luxe Mango: Fast-growing mango wood has quickly become a design favorite for a sustainable wood option. Luxe Mango creates the perfect look for casual resimercial settings.
The Fresh Start palette is a blend of mid-tones and lights building a sense of crisp cleanliness. It’s a metaphorical clean canvas and blank slate designed to reinvigorate and renew.
- Cotton Cloth, Woolen Cloth and Glass Cloth: The Cloth designs marry the comfort of fabrics with the cleanability of laminate. This subtle herringbone is available in a crisp white, reassuring warm beige and fresh blue-green.
- Scandi Rift Oak and Swede Rift Oak: A straight grain oak with no visible planking, the Rift Oak series is the perfectly usable design for minimalist hygge interiors, available in a light white and a classic medium wood tone.
The 2022 SurfaceSet Collection also introduces two new textures into the brand’s commercial portfolio. Oiled Wood is a modernized, low-luster natural texture for woodgrains with delicate open-pore ticking in a casual, nonlinear layout. The low-sheen Monolith brings a new organic texture to enhance select solid colours, transforming them with a tone-on-tone finish that has a patina, leather and slate-like feel.