The Design Exchange, in partnership with the RBC Foundation, has announced the 13 short listed candidates of the Emerging Designer Competition following a Canada-wide open call that commenced in March 2013.
The short list includes:
- Mason Studio (Toronto, ON);
- Jeremy Couture (Quebec City, QC);
- Ross Milne (Vancouver, BC);
- Jennifer Thorogood (Montreal, QC);
- Emery Norton (Toronto, ON);
- Lukas Peet (Vancouver, BC);
- Guillaume Noiseux (Montreal, QC);
- Roxanne Leger (Montreal, QC);
- Knauf and Brown (Vancouver, BC);
- Brandon Bergem (Winnipeg, MB);
- TREATY (Matthew Alexander Cherkas & Vincent Joseph Monastero), (Toronto, ON);
- The Alleles (Ryan Palibroda & McCauley Wanner), (Medicine Hat, AB);
- Wendy W. Fok, (Vancouver BC)
Finalists were selected by the first panel of industry judges, John Tong (+tongtong); Omer Arbel (Bocci/Omer Arbel Office); Philippe Meunier (Sid Lee); Sunny Fong (VAWK); and Patty Johnson (Patty Johnson Design), thus concluding the first phase of the two-stage judging process. Finalists now have two opportunities to win; the final review panel, comprised of design and business heavyweights Marcel Wanders, Heather Reisman, and Douglas Coupland; and the Caesarstone People’s Choice Award chosen by the public
Public votes for the Caesarstone People’s Choice Award can be done on the competition’s Facebook page. On December 15th, 2013 the DX will tally up the votes and declare a winner, whose work will be displayed at the DX alongside the jurors’ selection.
From February 20 to March 30, 2014, The Design Exchange will be exhibiting the works of the category winners, the winner of the People’s Choice Award, and the overall competition winner.