NYCxDESIGN Festival returns this May for its special 10th Anniversary edition
In celebration of its 10th anniversary, the NYCxDESIGN Festival will return this spring from May 10th to 20th.
“As we continue to expand on our non-profit mission to support, empower and grow the city’s design community, we’re excited to offer impactful year-round programming that builds on the Festival’s influence and creates more inclusivity and equitable opportunity for the city’s most creative minds and businesses to flourish,” says Elissa Black, Executive Director, NYCxDESIGN. “This 10th Anniversary of the Festival is a particularly meaningful moment as we connect the national and international design community to NYC’s diverse array of design talent that is shaping our collective future during this critical period of economic recovery.”
Bringing together hundreds of established and emerging design brands from across the globe, the city’s marquee events invite members from the industry and the public to witness what’s new in design:
ICFF: The International Contemporary Furniture Fair will host its annual show from May 15-17, 2022 at Javits Convention Center.
- WantedDesign Manhattan will co-locate with ICFF once again, presenting high-end North American studios (Look Book) and international emerging designers (Launch Pad) from May 15-17, 2022.
- Design Pavilion, New York’s Premier Public Design Exhibition, returns with “Open to the Sky”, a new series of inspiring installations presented across city landmarks like Times Square, the Pulitzer Fountain Plaza, Flatiron Plaza, and more. Aligned with the citywide exhibition, Design Talks NOW 2022, in partnership with Neuehouse New York, will present a new series of provocative conversations, roundtable, and panel discussions.
- The 7th Annual NYCxDESIGN Awards honor outstanding projects and products in categories that span major areas of design and celebrate the spirit of NYC Design.
NYCxDESIGN will present new and revamped initiatives that reconnect the public with some of the city’s most inspiring restaurants, hotels, and public spaces.
- In May, NYCxDESIGN will unveil the winning design installations from its inaugural competition, IMPACTxDESIGN in partnership with Caesarstone. Designers Karim Rashid and Kickie Chudikova developed compelling concepts for Dumbo Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan, showcasing how dynamic design can enhance public space, one of the city’s most valuable resources, and foster engagement. The two structures will be on view at these public plazas through Winter 2023.
- Building on its successful introduction during the November 2021 Festival, NYCxDESIGN will present the next edition of Open Studios. On select days during the Festival, NYCxDESIGN will host special tours in five design neighborhoods – Clinton Hill & Fort Greene, Nomad & Flatiron, Red Hook, Long Island City and Harlem – offering a behind-the-scenes look at some of the city’s most innovative design studios. Each limited-ticket tour will provide a unique opportunity to meet leading studio designers and witness live demonstrations of their work. The walking tours will each end at a local hot spot to enjoy a spirited cocktail with members of the industry and design enthusiasts alike.
- DRINKSxDESIGN will return in May with exciting new partners and an expanded footprint to support New York City’s dynamic culinary and bar scene. As part of this signature Festival program, a group of restaurants, curated by NYCxDESIGN with Eater and Punch, will each prepare a bespoke, design-inspired cocktail for attendees to enjoy as they gather once again. The cocktails served will draw on the creative energy of the Festival, exploring themes from architecture to sustainability in their design.
The Official NYCxDESIGN Guide, produced by the editors of Metropolis, will include a narrative of what to see and do during the Festival, in addition to the full roster of events, showroom listings, and more.
The Guide will be distributed in print to NYCxDESIGN Festival locations and showrooms next May, and digitally distributed to Metropolis and NYCxDESIGN subscribers next Spring.
NYCxDESIGN invites organizations to join the 10th Anniversary Festival celebration through original programming hosted during the Festival dates and within the five boroughs. Event types may include exhibitions, installations, talks, product launches, trade shows, open studios, workshops, tours, and more. Register events at festival.nycxdesign.org/event-registration.